Friday, May 30, 2008

Lessons I have learned about forgivness

Last night my DH Tim and I were talking about forgiveness and how important it is to not hold on to bitterness and anger. I have seen people in my life that like to hold on to bitterness and past hurt like a favorite pet. Because of these examples I was really good at holding a grudge and considered it a point of pride for myself that I wouldn't let anyone hurt me. And if they did, well I would just write that person off. :( Pretty sad. I found out that in doing that I didn't have alot of friends, and I was hurting my relationship with my husband. About four years ago during a fight when we were once again bringing up things that had happened years ago, we suddenly realized how ridicules it was to continue to bring these things up. If we truly were going to forgive then we had to forget also and to never bring it up again. From that point on we have been so much happier, our marriage has been much better and I have made more friends. Other then one incident that I am ashamed of were I didn't forgive like I should have, I think I have been doing alot better.I have seen firsthand how destructive being unforgiving can be. I am so thankful that God has given me the grace to forgive and that he was willing to forgive me and to give me the blessing of forgetfulness.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Christy, it has been so wonderful getting to know you better. I consider you a great friend and a blessing in my life. I know our relationship has not always been this way, but I am so glad it is now. I am truly blessed by your friendship.

It has also been awesome to be in Tim's sunday school class and see how God has grown him as a man and as a teacher. You guys are great!